Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Reflection: CNA experiences

In everyone's first year at the Health Systems Academy, they must take a class called Certified Nursing Assistant. This is a very good opportunity, because usually this is a paid college class. Last year, I indeed took that class. There were some good experiences with it, and there were some bad ones. It did help me develop two 21st century skills, though, and that was a positive of the whole thing. I do specifically remember one situation, that opened my eyes to being responsible. One day, before going off to Papillion Manor for my 4th clinical rotation there, I checked to make sure I had everything. Yes, I did. I got to Papillion Manor, and for some reason, my badge was missing, and Mrs. Leaders wouldnt let me go into the home, because every single one of those residents has a right to know who I am, and thats exactly why I have a name tag. This really showed me that I need to be more responsible, otherwise I will absolutely not get the same experiences as everyone else would. Plus, being irresponsible is just plain rude. I do not have an artifact for this section, plainly because most of my experiences were real life experiences, and not digital copies or written essays. The most positive experience I did have from my CNA class was getting to meet one of the greatest nurses and teachers that I probably will ever meet, Mrs. Leaders. Near the end of the year the CNA program was going down hill, and I neednt say why. Nonetheless, Mrs. Leaders swooped in OUT OF RETIREMENT and with a month and a half left of the year turned the whole program around by helping us with skills and knowlege that would prepare us for our State test. I want to thank her for all she has done for us, she has been just fabulous. The two 21st century skills I have taken away from this are "Effective communicators apply their reading, speaking, writing, and listening skills to communicate effectively" and secondly "Critical thinkers and problem solvers assess the situation, gather important information, and develop relevant, effective alternatives to reach a solution." I used the first one a lot at the end to communicate with Mrs. Leaders that I was not understanding what was going on for awhile. This effective communication between her and I lead to us meeting after school in the CNA room and her re-teaching me any skill I needed re taught. Second, I used the second one with all of my classmates at Papillion Manor. We were kind of able to go on our own sometimes and we would stick together and help eachother out in trouble situations. These skills developed will help us in college, and also later in life. The CNA experience will be something I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment